The First Sale
It really is a feeling I have not felt before.
Immense pride, slightly overwhelmed, a little bit shy while wanting to scream and shout in joy whilst doing a little jig in a sense of victory.
All seems well for the time it takes before the first samples are downloaded and the first copies are sold.
And then it finally happens, a copy is sold.
Then the nervousness kicks in. Someone has now not gotten my creation for free. They have now spent money on what they perceive to be decent matter. What if they hate it? What if I get flamed?
Being a sensitive person makes these feelings come to the fore in a powerful way. Putting oneself out there after one has published ones work is a big step, one of the biggest steps I’ve ever done. It’s not like posting a blog article, which comes with a disclaimer. Writing a book has no disclaimer and we live in an age where everyone is a critic.
I’ve already weathered the storm of some heavy criticisms. Luckily the purchase of my first book has only had positive comments to make.
I don’t expect many copies to sell. Afterall I am a first time author, largely unknown with a different outlook in an area of writing that is well populated with works and largely overshadow by a couple of mega-success stories.
At least I’ve completed one, am working on others and am fulfilling a dream in the process.
And that is worth living for!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Home is where the heart is. Only the greater part of my heart isn't here. 5 hours ago
- My new name for Johannesburg is dust ball. 7 hours ago
- I have a curse with baggage claim. Always the last one out. 8 hours ago
- RT @designtaxi: LEGO unveils life-sized ‘Star Wars’ X-Wing fighter in New York ow.ly/llMAp 10 hours ago
- The plane hasn't even completed its disembarking procedure and these ppl are already queuing. #silly http://t.co/uOMFCDPJ6K 10 hours ago